Wednesday, August 27, 2008

* Steans Foundation Helps Orphan Choir from Uganda

When I read the story about the SIFA African Children's Choir from Uganda getting their stuff stolen over the weekend, it broke my heart. We travel all over and I worry about this crap happening to us all the time with our equipment. Clearly, this was a desperate situation the choir was in. So I emailed Senator Steans to ask if she could lend a hand and help this group of children out. Heather said she would get right on the matter, even though she was in Denver.
"An inquiry requesting the Foundation's assistance was sent to Heather and forwarded to me for consideration. After reviewing the matter, including verifying the organization's charitable status, mission, and work, staff grant was issued for $5,000 to support the replacement cost of equipment stolen and overall mission. The contribution was received with extreme gratitude. There was even an offer from the choir to present a mini office concert for SFF-FIC staff yesterday. We declined, however."
I want to personal thank the Senator (thanks, Heather) and Reginald Jones, executive director of the Steans Family Foundation for jumping into action so quickly. You've done a good thing. I would've accepted the choir's office concert offer, though. I'm sure it would've been inspirational. I hope Mr. Jones continues to keep his eyes and ears open as to where those irreplaceable memory cards with the children's family photos on them may be? Someones gotta know something. Source.

5 comments:

Man On The Street said...

Great post and great action by Stearns. Between this and her active in the problems of Uptown, she is quickly becoming my Favorite Senator I Can't Vote For.

Man On The Street said...

Oops, I mean Steans

Unknown said...

What a great thing to do!

Suzanne said...

This is fantastic. Kuddos to Craig for asking and to Heather for responding so quickly and so generously.

Craig Gernhardt said...

Suzanne, With all the hugging going on today, I emailed Heather telling her if I was there, I'd give her a BIG hug too.

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs