Wednesday, May 2, 2007

* It's an H.B.T. Thing (Updated)

At least one suspect in custody

May 2, 2007 - A police standoff was under control on Wednesday morning in Rogers Park, leaving a man in his 20s dead and an unknown number of suspects in custody on the Far North Side.

The situation was under control about 5:20 a.m., according to police News Affairs Officer Hector Alfaro. Details on how the scene was secured and how many suspects are in custody were not immediately available, Alfaro said.

A man in his 20s was pronounced dead at 2:13 a.m. at Saint Francis Hospital in Evanston, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner's office. The man's identity was unknown immediately, according to the medical examiner's office.

Police said the man in his 20s was shot in the back in the 6200 block of North Claremont Avenue about 1 a.m., according to a report from the police First Deputy Superintendent's office.

A man who might be the shooter was holed-up in an apartment building at 6259 N. Claremont Ave. until the situation was brought under control, said Alfaro, who said police have not fired any shots and the man was believed to be alone.

"It's an H.B.T. thing," according to Alfaro, who said the man is "possibly the offender that police are looking for." Alfaro did not know if the shooting happened inside the apartment or out on the street.

Belmont Area detectives are investigating.

Sun-Times News Group Wire -- Chicago Sun-Times 2006

Updated:

"I was sitting on the computer and I heard five shots fired. From that, I didn't know what was going on until 15 minutes later until police cars and fire trucks arrived with an ambulance," said Xavier Murarsheed, neighbor.

"We work up around 1 to what we thought were gunshots. We didn't hear any commotion or anything outside, just the gunshots," said Mike Modica, neighbor.
Channel 7/with video

Channel 2/with video

11 comments:

Craig Gernhardt said...

I can tell you, I heard the S.W.A.T. team was brought in. Western was blocked off from Devon to Granville.

Jocelyn said...

Last Friday night we saw about half a dozen squad cars surround the 4+1 on the corner of Morse & Sheridan. The police told us they were looking for a man with a gun. I don't know if said offender was ever apprehended though.

I do notice an increased police presence in the general area of Morse, or at least to me it seems so.

anonymous said...

What does H.B.T. stand for?

rogerspark60645 said...

Judging from the police investigation into the nature of the relationships between the male victim, male shooter, and female (hostage?) I would guess HBT is husband, boyfriend triangle. Just a guess though.

Ryne said...

See shame on all of us for not believeing joe moore for saying "Crime is down in RP".

This story and the recent posts the last few days prove crime is down.

Jocelyn says " half a dozen squad cars surround the 4+1 on the corner of Morse & Sheridan. The police told us they were looking for a man with a gun"

So looks like we will have a quiet summer in Rogers Park!!

Thanks joe , your doing well. Your little caps leader kevin o'neal is doing a great job as well!!

Hugh said...

hostage barricade terrorist

Craig Gernhardt said...

Get ready for our annual tax payer funded Ceasefire circle prayer.

Catherine on Eastlake said...

OT....

i just recieved a letter/email from the DFA... anyone else get one?

Anonymous said...

Eyes On Eastlake,
My client, who is not active in politics got this email and forwarded it to me. I got the same email seconds later. I sent an email back asking where the hell they got my email address. Whereas I am clearly a Gordon supporter and want to be informed of how this suit is going, I have huge issues with emails sent to me from groups whom I have not contacted for information and or agreed to receive literature.

It's like Joe's spring cleanup email. I used to be on the 49th ward blast email list. When I moved, I changed my email and never updated the 49th ward office. This is the first email I have received from that office since August.

These guys are using spam methods and it isn't winning any kudos from me.

Normally, I am always interested in emails regarding our community. But I do feel that these two unsolicited emails are an invasion of my privacy. Not because of political leanings, but because I never authorized access.

Joe, you can tell your staff and your hoodlums to erase my address from your list. PRONTO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toni said...

If you get a postcard from my address "Citizens to Protect or Chastise Moore" - it's still not with my permission either.

Unknown said...

Hi Margot,

If you never gave it to them, DFA probably got your address from a voters list. Once they have that list, it's a pretty simple thing to generate an email list - direct mailers and spammers do it all the time, although many reputable push email vendors (including Constant Contact) won't accept lists generated this way.

If you never gave your email address directly to DFA I suggest you write to Constant Contact right away (click the icon at the bottom of the DFA email) and complain that DFA sent you spam - Constant Contact will take this complaint very seriously.

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs