Wednesday, August 8, 2007

* CeaseFire Love Fest

I would be willing to place bets - it's been a long while since Katy Hogan has left a meeting where both of us have attended - and her nerves weren't frazzled to the bitter end. And, I gotta say, it's been a while since I felt everything she was doing was right. Well, mark today on your calendar folks. Who knows, you may not see it again for a while.

The CeaseFire meeting went very well. I don't want to let too much out of the bag, because I'd like my readers to be involved in this project too. Hey, it's your tax dollars being used in this program after all.

Tomorrow night, at the United Church of Rogers Park, (Ashland and Morse) from 7p.m. until 9p.m. - 15 of Rogers Park youth's will give a presentation to the community.

The program is in conjunction with After-school Matters. It's called AC Square-T. The group is led by one very bright young man named Justin. The community will learn what 65 youths have to say about their feelings in dealing with the police department. These are high school kids. And, believe me, expect these kids to be very candid about their feelings.

You'll also hear what a half dozen officers have to say in dealing with the youth of Rogers Park. It was a six week program, with surveys that were conducted on the street and the police department.

Listening to Justin describe the process it took to gather the data sold me on the initiative and six week program today. I guess it's easier for me to handle information about a program from a person involved, rather than listening to a totally full-of-shit politician blather on and on about something he hasn't got a clue what he's talking about.

Like I said, Justin is a bright young man. Show up tomorrow night. You'll see for yourself.

About the rest of the CeaseFire meeting. Except for three outreach workers - who will be out of work if a State Budget doesn't get passed today. For the most part, today's was a CeaseFire Love Fest.

9 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I hope many people show up. We owe it to these kids to be informed about what is going on.

rpsense said...

Ok am I missing something here? Is this going to be a situation where the police department is going to be accused of racism by high school kids? Is this a subset group of ceasefire that did the study?

Craig Gernhardt said...

RP Sense, Please, take some time out of your evening tomorrow and show up. Form your own opinion on the program.

rpsense said...

I might just do that. The last time i had any interaction with Ceasfire it was via Johnny King. He was protecting one of the Herron brothers from a crime he had committed in my building and wouldn't give him up. I was left largely unimpressed with the whole program.

MadeInRogersPark said...

Well if these are students from Sullivan, involved in an out of school program they are usually the creme de la creme
Remember when you were 15 and you DID know everything about life and you just wish your parents would melt, only faster than an ice cube on a hot summer day.
We all need to get along. As Elvis Costello said, what so wrong with peace, love and understanding.

Anonymous said...

I have managed to overbook myself to the extreme tomorrow, which makes it doubtful I will be able to attend. Hope you video the event. This is something I would be very interested in seeing.

Jocelyn said...

I think we should all keep an open mind and hear about the kids' experience in RP with police and what the police say also. This is a great opportunity.

Natas said...

Some one should shoot Craig during the cease fire to show Rogers Park how much we love it

The North Coast said...

rpsense, the next time you witness such a thing as Cease Fire protecting a criminal from apprehension, DOCUMENT IT.

I have always had my doubts about Cease Fire, and if indeed they sheltered one of the Herron brothers from apprehension and arrest for a violent crime, then this organization is pernicious, and a danger to our neighborhood.

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs