Wednesday, September 26, 2007

* Flattery Will Get You Everywhere

Hi Craig,

Thought you might like to know that after a few weeks of lurking on 'Broken Heart' it has inspired me to action in my own community.

I happened across your blog awhile back after considering an offer from an acquaintence that seemed too good to be true. (We currently live in Indiana and wanted out of our decaying neighborhood.) She was offering us a chance to live rent free in her 'wonderful three bedroom home' as long as we kept up on the house maintenance. She no longer lives in the city and maintaining a 2nd home was getting to be too much for her.

Long story short, we found out because of where it's located in Rogers Park, she hasn't been unable to sell or rent it out. Instead she's resorted to offering it as free living space in exchange for not letting it sit vacant. I found the 'Broken Heart' of Rogers Park while researching the area and it played a part in us declining her offer.

But still I kept reading your blog and relating it to things happening in my own neighborhood and city. Me and my partner decided to "stay and fight" what is happening around our home, instead of fleeing the situation.

This morning I took the plunge and created my own blog called The 'Broken Heart' of South Bend. I hope you don't mind me borrowing the name? I thought it kinda paid tribute since you were the inspiration.

Anyway, there it is. Check it out if you get a chance: You never know how your work will inspire others!

The 'Broken Heart' of South Bend

9 comments:

Craig Gernhardt said...

I wonder if anyone in this vacant house voted for Joe?

No Moore! said...

South Bend, why is she unable to rent it? Where is it located? Has she tried to rent it?

SouthOfPratt said...

Where is the house located? I know plenty of people looking to buy good houses in RP.

Craig Gernhardt said...

Especially if the rent's free. Now that's affordable housing. I'm thinking I should rent my condo and move into the house myself.

Jocelyn said...

Oh Craig- now we all know that you just created that other blog to promote yourself. You don't have any real fans. (not) HA! HA!

They wish you didn't have fans! They wish they could control people's minds. They wish they could control the way information is put out on the internet. They are so Democratic that way.

Bill Morton said...

She probably likes the house and knows that if she sells, it will be torn down for condos, like everything else around here.

Craig Gernhardt said...

Don't forget the Howard Hell Hole.

The North Coast said...

Just looked at the vid on Howard Hell Hole.

Somebody should tell Kimberly to put a brassiere on. Floppy breasts and prominent nipples might make it on a pretty 30-year-old, but look really vulgar on some one Kimmy's age.

Jeff said...

great, i grew up in south bend, now I have two blogs to read on a daily basis

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs