Sunday, November 18, 2007

* Insane Action in Sin City Wipes Out Team Smage



Having witnessed the most violent and aggressive EnduroCross races of the three round series, 12,000 fans inside the sold out Orleans Arena were ready to see the worlds best off-road motorcyclists throw-down a race for the ages. For all you average followers of motorcycle racing, motocross racer and Rap Star Vanilla Ice wouldn't have the balls (or the talent) to even enter this race.

The bar-banging commenced from the drop of the first gate, and didn't let up until nearly midnight. After the second turn of the third semi-final heat race, my rider and MY BIKE looked like they both had been run over by a monster truck. The front end and wheel both were so twisted up, it took me and two track workers to drag it off the track after the race had finished.

Phillip wound up with a sprained wrist and tire marks all over his back. He was able to walk off on his own power with help from his girl-friend Amber. Phillip is one tough kid.

How'd it all happen. Going over a huge rock pile jump Phil had just cleaned, he got rammed from behind by a out-of control freestyle pioneer Mike Metzger who's claim to fame is doing a back flip over Ceaser's Palace fountain. Mr. 'Crusty Demon of Dirt' himself overshot the rocks. All I kept saying to myself as I ran onto the track to help Phil was, "THAT DICK-WAD!"

Four other riders then rode right over Phillip and the bike like they were just part of the obstacles on the track.

Our night was over quickly - and our spirits went from a super high, to a all time low, with-in seconds. And it started off so well too. Phil had the sixth fastest hot lap time going into the main event as seen in the Jumbo-tron screen in the arena. (photo above)

As you all can guess, I didn't come home a happy camper. Next season can't come quick enough, as this race is one we soon want to forget. To make matters worse, my luggage is lost between Las Vegas and Chicago thanks to TED. Mental note to self, never fly with them again.

Photos provided by V-Mar Racing. (My camera equipment is in my lost luggage.)

Cycle News Report

Official AMA Press Release

Kawasaki Race Report in video.

Blognotes: If you've actually clicked to read the industry reports, there's one positive to come out of this weekend. The trials riders are taking over the off-road scene and this is very good for our sport. We're no longer looked at as the slow guys without seats. And what makes it all the more special is Noel, Phil, Pat and I are the 'go to' guys. Everyone wants to know our secret. We all signed so many autographs this weekend, it was crazy. My hands are sore. From little kids to old men. I will never understand why people find someone's autograph special. The only people who wanted me to sign anything up to now was people who wanted a paycheck or money for taxes.

Top photo from the AMA press release shows second place finisher David Knight from the Isle of Man staying low on the rock pile while Taddy Blazusiak, a trials pro from Poland practices his trials moves, preparing a similar pass a few laps later for the win.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Why would they want your autograph? You weren't the one doing the work.

You are so strange. I feel sorry for you. I hope someday something in your life that you do that is positive makes you happy. I think it would make a difference for you.

Good luck, happy holidays.

Craig Gernhardt said...

That was my whole point of the comment. All I did was coach and manage the rider and work on the bike.

There is no way one single person can do this alone. It's impossible and no one on the world circuit does it. Some racers have up to six highly paid staffers on call, doing the job I did solo.



As for feeling sorry for me, well, you've got some serious issues. Far worse than mine.

For someone to come on my blog and bitch about the content anonymously, well my cowardly friend, you need some professional help. Go see the store front ambulance chaser.

Happy Turkey day to you.

INKJAR said...

SORRY ABOUT PHILIP-

THE RACE SOUNDS MORE LIKE A LAS VEGAS PROMOTION THAN A RACE-


PS HOPE YOU FIND YOUR LUGGAGE

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs