Thursday, November 15, 2007

* Loyola University Students Robbed in Rogers Park

Three Loyola students were robbed in two separate incidents in Rogers Park on Friday, according to a campus safety report.

Two female Loyola students were held at gunpoint and robbed Saturday outside their apartment building located on West Albion Avenue, west of Glenwood Avenue.

After the two students walked back from the Loyola el stop at approximately 10 p.m., two men followed the students into their apartment courtyard and walked past them. As one student bent down to find her keys, she felt someone grab her purse. She struggled with him until her friend said the men had guns.

"We both had a silver revolver inches from our faces," one victim said.

The offenders grabbed the students' purses, continued to point the guns at them for a short time and left on foot. The victims heard a car speed away.

The students did not sustain any serious injuries.

"I called campus safety first," one victim said. "The woman I talked to was very nice and made sure I was calm. She sent over Chicago [police] officers while two Loyola campus safety officers came."

Chicago police arrived at the scene within five minutes.

"Chicago police officers seemed hesitant to believe us," one victim said.

The victims identified the offenders as two black males wearing black hooded sweatshirts and carrying silver handguns. Full Ugly Story.

1 comment:

Hillari said...

It's unfortunate that it appears that the policemen who responded to the students appeared not to be service-orientated.

I had a very different experience with a couple of officers last night in my apartment building. I noticed that a neighbor's door was standing open as I was on my way out to the boxing gym. Thinking they were on their way out in a minute, I thought nothing of it. When I returned later, the door was still standing open. I saw where the door frame was damaged as if someone had kicked the door in, so I called the police.

The police arrived in about 15 minutes. They told me that it indeed looked like someone had kicked the door in, but at first glance, it didn't look like anything was stolen. Of course, they had no way of knowing for sure since the tenant was not there to check if anything had been taken. I gave them building management's number, and I called the management's answering service to report what happened.

I was told that the person "on-call" would be sent to secure the door. However, management is notoriously slow about taking care of requests, and no one showed up before the cops left. However, the officers made an attempt to secure the door.

One of the officers informed me that he was familiar with the building. He and other cops were always having to come out because of gang activity and drug dealing. "It doesn't happen as often as it used to here. But we had to bust down a lot of doors and make a lot of arrests. Once, we had 20 people in the hallway checking them for weapons and substances," he told me. I believed him. I've lived in the building for a long time, and I remember quite a few malcontents that lived on my floor alone.

The officers thanked me for reporting the incident, and I thanked them for following up. It pays to call the cops.

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs