Wednesday, April 2, 2008

* Welcome to Bangor








Cheers from Bangor, Northern Ireland. As you might guess, this quant sea-side fishing village doubles as a tourist trap. When we arrived yesterday the winds were gusting around 40 miles an hour.

Last night I witnessed my first hooligan fight. About 10 wild youths were wailing on each other and the police rolled in and took matters in their own hands and started clubbing the kids. After the police beat-down, they hauled ALL of them off in the Patty Wagon. No questions asked. No parents crying foul.

I asked the policemen if this was common. He told me; "If the parents won't teach these young chaps a lesson - that's where we come in." Now that's quality police work. This morning I went to take photos of the bloody rubbish, but the rain last night washed it away.

So, instead, this morning you're getting my tourist look at the Village. Here's a look at the town and a couple of the fishing boats that line the harbor. I'm not sure if they wanted me wandering around the Castle grounds so early, (?) - but no one came and arrested me.

Another difficult aspect of the journey is the roadwork. It's bloody hell driving on the wrong side of the road with the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car. If we make it our of here alive, it'll be amazing.

Blognotes: I would like to thank Hugh and Rogers Park 60645 for the blog help and keeping me abreast of what's going on at home.

3 comments:

Hugh said...

"Last night I witnessed my first hooligan fight."

come home & tour scenic Howard St

10 youths? we can do better than that, we are CHICAGO

Levois said...

Ah man I thought you were in Maine!

ShirleyMargo said...

i'm not sure northern ireland police are really the best example. sheesh!

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs