Friday, March 11, 2005

* 49th Ward Democratic Committeeman Responds

Because Alderman Moore Won't
david_fagus_49th_ward
Hi Tom,

I would like to make a minor suggestion. This bill has not passed the
Senate and therefore is not authorized funding. Both of our United State's
Senators will have an opportunity to have a say on this as well and since
this legislation has already passed the House your efforts might be better
directed towards them. I also heard a report that President Bush is
strongly considering a veto of this bill which would stop any funding unless
it was overridden.

I would also like to raise the point that people who live as close to the
lake as I do, 2.5 blocks did not have an opportunity to voice an opinion in
that referendum. Clearly those most effected, both in quality of life
issues and financial self-interest have spoken, but I believe it is, as you
indicate, a larger issue than the 10 precincts that voted. We probably
don't need a referendum for the entire ward to measure the communities
feelings because any officials who would even consider going forward with
this without vast public input would be a fool. (As a matter of record, I
think I could safely speculate that people beyond the 10 precincts are not
supportive either, but they have not been heard from.) There are many, many
more steps that have would have to occur before anything resembling
construction could happen and it will provide all of us an opportunity to be
heard. My point, more than 75% of the ward has not spoken in any forum as
of yet.

Finally, I would suggest that since this is a part of the highway bill,
striping out language that eliminates roads and highways is not appropriate.
I suggest urging Sen. Durbin and Sen. Obama to remove it from the current
bill and attach it to a bill that would deal with parks, natural resources
or lakefront type issues generally. I believe the realistic problem the
people supporting the park expansion without roads have is that without road
dollars it is unlikely funding will happen. I also believe that is why the
study is in transportation funding bill now. For better or worse, that is w
here the money is.

I hope you appreciate my comments. Please do not hesitate to contact me if
you feel it could be helpful.

David Fagus
Democratic Committeeman - 49th Ward

No comments:

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs