Sunday, April 16, 2006

* To Serve and Protect


Last night there was an outdoor roll-call at Morse Avenue and Glenwood. I went there in front of everyone of these officers begging them to close the open air drug market and gun trading center. No, I didn't get down on my knees, but maybe I should have.

See, a few of these officer hate me. I've been told publicly and it's been printed in this blog as recently as yesterday. I should have gotten on my knees and begged for their forgiveness. But I didn't. Instead I took their catty jokes mocking me and I pleaded for peace in beat 2431.

I stood in front of each and every officer and asked them to remove the guns and drugs from Morse Avenue. Was that too much to ask for?

Not only did I beg these officers to remove the gangs, guns and drugs, I stood with the officers and told the gangs watching from the sidelines I didn't want them there shooting and killing anymore. I stood up face to face with some gang members, showing them the sign "Close the Open Air Drug Market and Gun Trading Center."

I'm going to finish today's blog by offering you a unknown author poem that was printed in Second City Cop Blog today. I stand next to these officers as they do their jobs maintaining law and order. To serve and protecting our freedom of speech, so others may have theirs.

Look into the eyes
Of a cop and you'll see,
The hurt and the anguish
And what this tells me

It tells me he's seen
The horrors of life
The blood and the guts
Contention and strife

She's seen it too
Babies abused
Kids without parents
Love misconstrued

But what hurts the most
Is the lack of support
Of the ones who should care
Still you'll never detort

Our mission in life
And the oath that we took
To rescue all victims
To capture the crook

So brothers and sisters
Stand tall, proud and say
We're all one in spirit
We're all one today

1 comment:

Craig Gernhardt said...

I never saw that movie Jeff-O. Let me tell you what's "over the top." I believe the Gangster Disciples and the Latin Kings are in power struggle in CAPS Beat 2431. We got a gang war going on. But, our leaders like Alderman Moore, Kevin O'Neil, Kimberly Bares, John Fitzgerald and Cary Steinbuck won't tell you that. From their standpoint, everything is fine. I do not agree.

Two nights ago, before the off duty officer shot Jumaane Jones,(age 32, of the 100 block of Callan Avenue in Evanston), there was an altercation at the Morse EL station between the two alleged gangs.

Three shots were fired. According to the roll-call officer, Instead of calling 911, one of the gang members called his buddy to bring more heat to the battle. From the way the roll call officer put it, "a gun large enough to rip into the bullet proof vest the officers were wearing. "

Jones was charged with aggravated assault of a police officer, according to the a report to the police First Deputy Superintendent’s Office. The report indicated that Jones was a convicted felon and believed to be a gang member.

This out-door roll call was a visible message to the open air drug market salesman and their customers. After the roll-call the police used the corner for a seat-belt check spot.

If you want another version, Paradise was there, no one else attended. No Harrington, no other guy, no one. Crimes a tough issue to deal with. I don't know too many people willing to stand up to the gangs on their turf and tell them, enough is enough. Community activism isn't for everyone, but it should be.

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs