Tuesday, May 30, 2006

* Where's the Flowers?


I've gotten a few e-mails and a couple of calls asking, "Where am I?" A family crisis is putting daily blogging on hold. My father has been seriously ill lately. So I've been spending bedside time with him before he passes away.

It's very difficult to watch someone slowly give up on life, but as it stands today, his "quality of life' is so low, passing away sure seems better than the pain he's suffering each and every day he stays alive. The doctors have prescribed morphine late last week, but my dad would rather be in massive pain than feel "loopy," as he calls it.

Yesterday my sister and I went to make pre-funeral arrangements with the wishes my dad had asked we fulfill in his honor. One of the wishes came when the director asked about flowers. The package we chose included a couple of arrangements and a casket spray. As we continued the director asked if we wanted people to send flowers or offer the in lue of flowers routine. This was brought up earlier in a family discussion. I remember my dad got snappy and mentioned he had donated enough in his lifetime, he want a room full of flowers!

So here's where today's blog story is leading.

It's almost June. Why can't the planters in the Clark/Morse/Glenwood Special Service Area tax #24 grow flowers? I'm sure if my dad lived in Rogers Park it would be one of his wishes to see flowers planted in them instead of garbage.

4 comments:

Knightridge Overlook said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rogerspark60645 said...

Craig, I wish you much strength during this time. I've been there. Take care.

Jocelyn said...

Steve and I will keep you in our thoughts. I wish you and your family peace during this difficult time.

You are always missed when you are "off-blog" BTW.

Before they put plants in there, they need to put some dirt! And I'm afraid the flowers wouldn't last too long...

patrickfkelly said...

Craig,
Sorry to hear about your father. Our thoughts are with you

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs