Sunday, April 29, 2007

* Wildlife Sunday

The Good, The Sad and The Ugly

Holy Red Fox. Look what I found on my bike ride along the lake this morning. A urban red fox on the run. I had to give a good old fashioned fox chase to get this shot. I've never seen one in the any woods I've been in across the country, so this was a fun chase. FInally the wily thing took a break, scratched behind the ear, she posed, which gave me a chance to snap this one photograph - then she was on the run again.

Here are a couple of geese bobbing for food at Juneway beach.

Now the sad news. Someone lost a cat in the 7600 block of North Sheridan. If you've seen Cali the Calico, please call. There's even a reward for her capture.

Now, the really, really bad news. Who's stealing the tulips from the Bach House? What do you knuckle-heads think - you think the owner doesn't notice? You think the neighbors who go by to enjoy the flowers don't notice? WE NOTICE, YOU DUMB-ASSES. Go out and buy your own tulips, you disrespectful shit-heads. That's what flower shops are for. Ms. Feerer puts in more work than you can imagine to keep this property up. People, please, stop vandalizing Bach House garden. You're going to ruin it for the rest of us. If anyone sees this happening, call 911. They're vandalizing a historic landmark and they need to be punished.

7 comments:

Levois said...

I'm liking the change of pace here. And I hope you get those tulip snatchers. And it seems Chicago is home to some strange stray animals. Almost as if the wild is coming into the city more than ever.

Anonymous said...

As coyote populations continue to grow in the suburbs, fox sightings in the city will continue to be more frequent.

Nice shot Craig.

I can't wait to hear why picking flowers on private property is ok...

Toto said...

Ruff, ruff. What a foxy fox.

(o)(-)

Catherine on Eastlake said...

I rode my bike on NU campus and a red fox trotted along side of me. When a student came out of the library to ask me if that was my pet ... he took off. It was the coolest experience.

Hillari said...

A fox in RP? Wow. You were brave for following it. If I see little kids running behind the wild hares that hang around Loyola U., I warn them away trying to pet them.

It's enough that skunks and possums hang around the area. My boxing coach dropped me off one night and noticed a possum posted in front of the door to my building. I chased it off so I could get inside.

Craig Gernhardt said...

Boxing Tomboy, did the possum look like this?

Hillari said...

Yes Craig, the possum wasn't quite as dark, but it was that big. Yeech!

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs