Saturday, May 26, 2007

* Ask the Gardeners


Dear Rogers Park Gardeners Group,

Recently I took on a project of planting a few flowers in some long neglected box planters, as seen in the above photo. Since the first day I planted these annuals three weeks ago, I've had a variety of strange fungus that overtaken the flower boxes on a regular basis.

Normally when I've planted flowers in the past, I've had to deal with minor weeds or strange bugs. One time I had to deal with a pesky rabbit picking the flowers. Or maybe it was a squirrel?

But this is something I haven't had to deal with in a flower planter box before. Here's how it started.

At first it was a empty beer bottle or two. Then came the empty 1/2 and full pint booze containers. They are usually covered in brown paper or black fungus. Sometimes a top of the bottle can be found stuck in the potting soil, other times the top on the bottle is outside the box on the ground.

But lately, the fungus has grown much, much larger. And much, much faster than the flowers are growing. I've never seen anything like this before. I just don't know what to do.

I water the plants every other day and at least 2 times a day I have to remove this large plastic fungus from either one planter or another - I'm serious, at least twice a day. Sometimes more than one planter has this unwanted fungus type growth.

The smell that comes from this is unbearable sometimes. But I can safely say, the fungus hasn't caused any rashes when I pick them out of the planter boxes. As caution goes, I do wash my hands immediately after removing the fungus and placing it in a legal garbage can.

So, my question is, what do I do? What's causing this fungus to grow very, very quickly and cause massive destruction to the pretty flowers I planted? Is there some magic spray I can buy at the local Garden Store like Weed-be-Gone?

Signed,

The 'Broken Hearted' Public Gardener

13 comments:

Fargo Woman said...

Littering is an actionable offense. Is it possible - or would it do any good - to monitor the planters and take pictures of the litterers and then turn the pictures over to the police? By the way, where are the planters located? If they are on Morse Ave., maybe you can take the problem to a CAPS meeting as another example of the Alderman's cleaning crew not doing their job. This is all just a suggestion. I want you to know, however, that regardless of where the planter is located and whether or not you have any luck getting rid of the fungus, I for one applaud you. Thank you trying to make Rogers Park just a little bit better. PEACE

Fargo Woman said...

Craig, I'm having a devil of a time posting comments. I repeatedly sign in a new blogger because Google won't recognize the password I used to process my identity. I always use the same e-mail address and password and always list myself as Fargo Woman but if I log off and come back later and want to post a comment I have to go through the whole process all over again. Any suggestions?

sweetpea said...

There is no magic spray. These are garbage cans being used for planters. I see the same can being used at the Taco Bell on Devon and Lincoln. It just has a plastic top with a swinging door attached.

sweetpea said...

Yes, littering is an actionable offense. Just call 911. Cops will be there in minutes to arrest the perps. I'm sure it's all caught on blue light camera. I'd go to the district and demand to view the tapes. The officers will be happy to put you in a little viewing room so you can watch. Yeah.

As far as the alderman's cleaning crew not doing their job, perhaps you need to suggest that a janitor be placed at the station on 24 hour duty.

And do go to CAPs. Make sure you take up the officers time when other crime issues should be handled like shootings, goonings and other crimes.

I_pissed_in_your_planters said...

I pissed in your planters.

Hey thanks for cleaning them up. It keeps the pee from splashing back on me.

anonymous said...

fargo woman, the same thing happened to me, can't really say how it worked itself out, except, I think when I made a blog Google started recognizing me better. I think when I'm signed in to Google, that's it, you need to sign in to Google before you post comments.

anonymous said...

Listen, pisser, you haven't answered my question, do you hate the public, or just Craig?

I_pissed_in_your_planters said...

Paridise, Craig is increasingly irrelavant. Half truths and half lies.

Jocelyn said...

I only wish their were such a remedy!

Aren't we due for streetscaping this fall? We'll see how those plantings fair. I fear for the helpless plants unfortunately.

DorothyParker007 said...

I think if you put the beer bottles in a lovely arrangement they really do sparkle in the daylight.

pearl said...

Craig -- I will make an announcement/plea for assistance in picking trash out of planters at the garden group meeting on Tues. This does raise the point that every community garden project needs stewards. Sadly, it's not enough to plant or even to plant and water. And, sadly, our political leadership claims lack of funds. Right or wrong, it comes down to us. . .

E! said...

SweetPea,
Don't you have some crime to commit? Of course, then go on ahead and get to work on that.

We really don't need your comments here. They are churlish, sophomoric, and a waste of our time.

DorothyParker007 said...

To "e!" watch what you say to sweetpea, couldn't it be said to you as well as me as well as pisser, jolycelyn. You being churlish.

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs