Friday, May 18, 2007

* Ceasefire Fails to Deliver on Circle Prayer




Arriving late is a trait Joe Moore is all to familiar with. But CeaseFire, they've always been prompt in the two years I've been covering their events. That's until last night. CeaseFire was five minutes late for their annual, after the fact, circle prayer. This drew the ire of the Chicago Police Department Roll Call Sergeant, who was conducting a outdoor roll call on the same night and same spot.

This roll call sergeant is the best in the business. I've seen his work many times. He rallies the officers and gives a 'fire and brimstone' speech, second to none. He let's his officers know while Joe Moore is tucked nicely in bed at night, the victims don't call Joe for help, they call the police.

So last night, the roll call sergeant was a bit ticked off. Had the roll call sergeant had his way, instead of 40 officers and 19 squad cars, this outdoor roll call would've been a whooper - with double the sirens and flashing blue lights.

And it's all Ceasefire's fault for not being organized and coordinating on a timely manner, what their plan was for the after the fact ground blessing. I can personally attest to the fact Ceasefire didn't get us the information via email until Wednesday, May 16th, after 7PM. That's less than 24 hours notice.

So, after getting a public chewing out, all the wind was taken out of Ceasefire's sails last night. What's worse is the fact Ceasefire pulled the plug on the circle prayer, ceremonial sidewalk cleansing and neighborhood parade. Vernandez Jones with Ceasefire/Rogers Park had no comment.

BLOGNOTES: Above photo. Pam and Dean Gill joined the outdoor roll call with Jordan School Vice-Principal, Mr. White.

For the record, I'll take the Chicago Police Department 'Outdoor Roll Call' over a Ceasefire Circle Prayer - anyday.

4 comments:

I live here too said...

Thank you to the police. I appreciate everything they do. Imagine this area WITHOUT their presence. I LOVE it when I see the police cruising Pottawattomie. It's a shame cease fire dropped the ball this time. Personaly I think they are useless, but at least they are trying something.

Abe said...

If other people get something out of them, then they serve a purpose. However, in my opinion, circle prayers are a big waste of time, and I highly doubt I would ever attend one.

Dr Who said...

Please don't call the LT a sergeant. No stripes with a bar on each lapel is a LT. Sounds like Joe Fitzsimmons from the frime and brimstone part.

Syd Cada said...

Why have a prayer circle. Every night I say this one.

Now I lay me down in bed
I pray to God that Im not dead
If I am mugged before I wake
I pray dear Lord that I don't ache

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs