Friday, May 4, 2007

* I Tried to Plant a Tree with Nathan (Updated)


Symbolic little gestures, like planting a tree. Everyone I talked with said it would never happen. They chided me for even trying. Well, try I did. 'Officially' that is. See, tomorrow is the City of Chicago's annual Spring Clean and Green. I had tossed an idea up in the air a couple of weeks ago about using this day to replace the 7 missing trees in the 1400 block of West Morse Avenue.

This idea seemed to be something Nathan wanted to be involved with. So, I emailed the Alderman of the idea, - and I mentioned that some prep work had to be done in advance, if any trees were to be planted by Nathan, myself and anyone else that wanted to help out.

I know it's a big job. I've cut down and replanted many, many trees on the farm as a kid. If you're going to plant any tree where one existed before, you've first got to remove the old tree stumps and roots.

Well, long story short, I got a email back from Joe explaining the Morse Avenue Streetscape project would be starting up this summer and he didn't want to possibly ruin any newly planted trees. Right then, I should've figured Joe was weasling his way out of actually doing something good for the ward.

Well anyway, I continued to try to get something positive done. I emailed back, saying "the trees wouldn't be harmed". The city takes care of the trees that are already in place, while doing any streetscape or sidewalk projects. "I've seen it done personally on Broadway", I explained. He said he'd "check into it". (If anyone wants to see for themselves, go to Belmont near Paulina, in front of the Walgreens, they are working around trees right now.)

Joe never got back to me. Now I knew I was getting blown off, again. Instead of helping out the ward, what do I see. Joe Moore grand-standing downtown with a big ole bullhorn in his hand. He's working up the crowd of nut-cases, denouncing President Bush's veto. What the fuck. Like Joe's really going to get the President to change his mind. Is he insane? I know this war sucks, but I just don't see the President saying, "Okay Joe, because you want me to pull the troops out of Iraq - I will." All the while, we've got our own idiots roaming Rogers Park, shooting people in the back.

Okay, back to the tree planting. It's not going to happen. Officially. But, I've come up with a better plan. A Stealth Tree Planting. One day (or night) in the next month, one tree will mysteriously be planted along the 1400 block of West Morse. Maybe, just maybe, if Nathan can keep it a secret, I'll invite him to join in on the stealth tree planting.

But as for Nathan's father. After not getting back with me all week, I've come to the conclusion - Joe will never change. He's too set in his media sound bite, 'us vs. them', national issue ways. He doesn't give a shit about this 49th ward. He's got bigger fish to fry. He's got his bullhorn on President Bush and the entire republican party.

All I wanted to do is plant a tree on Morse Avenue. And I will. But first, I need to buy a bullhorn.

Updated: Oops. My stealth tree planting project has been nixed.

Craig: I will ask our Bureau of Forestry to follow up promptly and to see about replacing the trees in question. Please do not put in any parkway trees on your own. Besides being against ordinance and making them likely to be removed, most people are not familiar with the types of trees that can be safely planted without causing severe infrastructure damage down the road. Also, with all of the potential infestations that our region is facing or could face, certain species have been banned because they are host trees. We'll try to work with you as best as we can on this and thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Be Well-
Matt Smith
Dept. Streets and Sanitation

16 comments:

rp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
waywaynorth said...

Craig,
I admire your cause - but in this case, he has a valid point about the tree(s). If indeed the project is going to begin this summer (to be seen), they have already bid out the scope and the trees have been approved by CDOT. I real issue is that why Joe didn't explain how this process works - is he spending the time to do is job and understanding these details, or is he too high and mighty to not want to bother with a constituent? Also, an effective Alderman would point you to another tree planting program or group to corral your enthusiasm such as planting a tree in a park. The other issue is that he didn't call you back - and that is unexceptable.

Craig Gernhardt said...

Or, in this case, a email would have worked. We're still not on the best of talking terms. That's why I suggested the symbolic tree planting with his son as a peace pipe offering.

I'm going to call Brian Steele at IDOT to confirm this protocol.

The North Coast said...

You shouldn't have to be on "talking terms" with your elected representative to get a response from him. Your taxes contribute to his salary.

I mean, would you not communicate with your boss because you didn't like him? Try it sometime.

That's the problem with Joe. He does not respect his constituents as the people who write his bloated paycheck. Or, maybe respects only the people who he figures helped him get it.

We Gordon supporters were so hoping that the population of this ward would let Joe know who his bosses are, but that didn't QUITE happen.

So we are going to have to stay on his back.

INKJAR said...

LOVE THIS RESPONSE OF ---
THE NOTHCOAST -
AINT IT THE TRUTH !!!!

Abe said...

Why go through Joe?

ALthough Chicago alderman have set up the city to be split into 50 fief-doms, why not go through the official channels and follow up with those people. Hold those people accountable. The City is here to work for everyone, even if our alderman doesn't have the will to serve all of us.

Call 311; find out the City Department who handles trees. Contact DevCorp, even if you believe this is a ceremonious gesture. I know that residential lot owners get hassled by the City if their property does not have a tree planted every 25 ft, and every new construction must have one planted by the developer in the same amount. This rule is enforced even though technically that is City property, not private property.

Basically, cut Moore out and go straight to the source. Don't sit around waiting to get disappointed (although its too late for that here, given Moore's failure to respond).

Couch Captain said...

How odd, we spoke to Moore about some plantings and the like, he was very interested, in fact I know some people who'll be planting tomorrow, Moore has been helpful to us. Might even get a shovel in his hands.

One thing I, a Moore supporter can not stand when people don't return calls or email, people that we pay their salaries. I feel that may be the aldermans most important job, cause it makes the people of the ward feel valued. Seems like Moore would call you back first, I would alway try to pacify my opposition, you know disarm them. By not returning your calls he's playing into your hand. I'll bitch to him about it next time we see each other.

Craig you're half right on the trees, it would be better to wait until the street scape is done, why have workers work around something when it's easier for them to plant during their own process. They do get paid by the hour you know.

Just reading your own blog we know there are many things needing fixing around here why not do anything else until the city acts. Let the tree thing go until later.

You could always pick up dog droppings on your street and else where. Maybe you could go over and teach people to use trash cans instead of your street. Perhaps you could be a big brother to some kid who's not yet ruined. You could help an older person clean up their yards are plant flower for them. Just a thought, now go ahead and call me names.

rogerspark60645 said...

I live in Bernie Stone's ward. Every time I call for something (and I call quite often) I receive a call back the next day and then about two days later I receive a letter sent through the U.S.P.S. that states what my call was for and which city office was contacted for follow up. EVERY TIME.

Hugh said...

Moore never met a BULL horn he didn't like.

Hugh said...

Craig, you are dooming those poor saplings to a miserable young death. Moore will make SURE the streetscape contractors accidentally back up over each & every tree you plant. If he didn't, 4 years from now those trees would be tall & leafy, and he sure doesn't want to have to listen to you talk about how you planted them, not him. if there is to be any shade on Morse it will be cause Joe Moore deemed it so.

Neil in Chicago said...

Hey, it could be worse --
After Daley Sr. made that silly movie "What Trees Do They Plant?" about how it was right to have "police riots" in '68, some neighborhood locals went out to plant a tree. Joyce Kilmer Triangle seemed a good place.
Not only was everyone arrested, but they never got their tree back, either.

Anonymous said...

So what is the deal with the clean and green? I sent my info to the Ward soon after Barbara's letter was posted and received a confirmation and a note that my info would be passed on from Alicia. However, I've yet to get any info back from the Ward about this event. I think I saw a flyer for it on the ground when I was driving to work today so I think I will have to go looking on the street. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

SouthEvanstonian said...

I say, give Joe Moore a new chance to prove himself to his constituents. The construction "excuse" sounds valid to me -- you wouldn't want to kill innocent trees, or make taxpayers pay for two sets of plants if the first round doesn't survive construction. Waiting a few months to do things correctly the first time around won't hurt anybody!

lafew said...

With a little research and some persistence, Craig can have an impact on which trees are planted by the Department of Forestry. Bypass Joe and let your contact know that you are serious. Who knows, maybe there is a magnolia, lilac, or some impact shrub that will make your life more pleasant on Morse without causing havoc.

On giving Moore a chance, most of us have given him at least two or three chances. Now, we must give him a fourth. I think that those who suggest otherwise are beating a dead fish. However, we have no other choice, so I can dream, can't I!

BTW, I hope to get a response to my detailed e-mails, Joe! Joe? Are you there?

Unknown said...

Seems like Moore would call you back first, I would alway try to pacify my opposition, you know disarm them. By not returning your calls he's playing into your hand. I'll bitch to him about it next time we see each other

Impressive. You are clearly a master tactician. If you can get Joe and his staff to return calls to constituants in a professional manner, we'll nominate you for the Nobel Peace prize.

Like I've said before, I think you need to get off that couch more often...

Unknown said...

Just want to make the rather obvious comment that there are better and worse times of year to plant trees, from the tree's point of view...spring and autumn, when there is rainfall and moderate temperatures is typically best.

Wouldn't expect Joe and his entourage to know this, since they've admitted knowing nothing about plants, despite their stated desire to propel Rogers Park into a position of "green" leadership. The answer he gave Craig sounds like something he pulled out of his hat to keep a constituant at bay. Given that the streetscape project is likely to last the summer and that trees shouldn't usually be planted in the dead of summer, the "killing innocent trees" excuse isn't really logical if the trees are planted in late spring, but really, it depends of the type of tree and the type of work and the protection around the trees. At the very least, an elected official with 16 years experience could be expected to do a bit better job discussing the situation to a constituant.

(I seem to remember we were going to see the Disneyfication of Morse Ave. last summer, but I digress...)

Anyway. Agree with the other commenter's points about working directly with the Bureau of Forestry on this. If the streetscaping project is truly happening right away, you'd think they'd have heard - or is this project getting trees from another source? If not, don't see why we have to wait another year to get some appropriate trees planted there.

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs