Saturday, June 16, 2007

* CAPS Beat 2422 Notes

Hi Craig:

I'm sending this to you via e-mail because I'm not certain how to get - or even if I should try to get - a new subject posted to your blog. Please do with this information what you see fit:

I went to the CAPS meeting last night for 2422 with a concern about to seemingly abandoned buildings on my block on Fargo. I was instructed to call 311, report the buildings and take down a tracking number so I can call back to see what, if any, progress is being made. I did that this morning:

1626-30 W. Fargo: Tracking number 0701061805 The building has been vacant for over a year. The front doors are padlocked. The first floor balconies, on the front of the building, are relatively easily accessible and have windows and doors. Vegetation is overgrown and, when combined with the padlocks on the two front entrances, confirm to anyone interested that the building is vacant and unattended.

1640-42 W. Fargo: Tracking number 0701061791 This building has been vacant for over two years. The front door is boarded up and a zoning notice has been posted there for quite some time. Evidently, that notice has been replaced over time because I've seen one posted there for most of the two years yet when I read it last night the date on it is December 28, 2006. The File Number on the zoning notice is 573-Z and goes on to say that an application was filed by Geo. Samotin with further information available through J. Pirarski at (312) 782-9351 (or 57 - the writing is very faded). Posted on top of the zoning notice is an orange notice of Water Service Termination from the City of Chicago dated 06-08-2007 stating $1,560.83 is due. This building also has easily accessible front balconies with widows and doors in each of them. In addition to the overgrown foliage, the sidewalk is broken and pitted. I took a nasty fall there just two or three weeks ago. I'm OK, praise God, but someone else might be so blessed.
It was also suggested at last night's meeting that I contact the Alderman's office, ask for Anne Sullivan, and report the situation to her in hopes that Joe might be able to do something about it. I intend to do so after I send you this e-mail. I'm hoping you'll post this information on your blog and that, starting next week, other readers will also call 311 asking about the progress made on those buildings using those tracking numbers. I'm hoping that if enough people call, they will get moving a little faster. Do you think this might happen?

Thank you for your time in reading this missive and for anything you do in helping me to get this information out. I read "The Broken Heart" almost every day. Thanks loads for doing all you are doing for our community.

- PEACE -
Fargo Woman

3 comments:

Toni said...

Here are some photos to match the post

Fargo said...

Go to www.fargocats.blogspot.com for more background on these two buildings. The sidewalk in front of 1640-42 has been cratered and hazardous for about 2 years now.

Fargo Woman said...

I spoke to Ann Sullivan at the Alderman's office today. Mike Land was dispatched to view the properties as well as the second property the owner of 1640-42 owns in Rogers Park. She said so far it looks as though there is an ongoing zoning issue with this building. She also said she believes there is a zoning issue with the drive way for the 1626-30 building. She said I would have to wait for further word from her once Mike Land has had an opportunity to view the properties and to speak to the owners to see what they plan to do with the buildings. In the meantime, she said he would ask the owners to please mow the areas and remove rubbish. When asked about the pitted sidewalk, she said she doubted the owner would have the sidewalk repaired because when he does have the building rehabbed the equipment involved may just re-damage the sidewalk. Of course, I had to ask the obvious question: If I fall again and really hurt myself, who do I sue, the owner or the city? She just laughed, as though I was joking . . .

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs