Tuesday, June 19, 2007

* The City That Works

After 8 calls to a myriad of Chicago departments, I have finally learned that I must attend court. There is no mail in option for failure to display a city dog license.

Here are the different organizations I had to go through to get this simple answer.

* 311 - two times
* Administraticve hearings - 2 times
* Animal Care and Control -1 time
* 24th district Chicago Police - 1 time
* Chicago Department of Revenue -1 time
* City Clerk - 1 time


I was informed that it takes approximately two weeks for the ticket to enter into the system. Once that has happened, I can come to the court and have my hearing at a time conveniant for me. Out of morbid cu riousity, I looked up some of the violations that do allow mail in of fines.

* CTA ordinance violations
* Drinking in public
* Biking on the Sidewalk
* Skate-boards, roller-blades or push carts on a roadway
* Placing advertising matter on vehicles
* Solicitation or selling on a public way without a license
* Glass containers in public parks, beaches and play lots
* Lack of charitable solicitation permit
* Violation of park district codes
* Violation of operation restrictions of marine vessels including dangerous or reckless operation.
* Creating wakes within 150 ft of shoreline, buoys or swimming areas

Now I don't want to be a pain and I believe licensing is important. But is failing to display your city dog license more serious than some of the infractions above? Do you mean I can be operating a boat in such a way that is dangerous to life and limb and get out of my court date and a dog owner who has failed to purchase a license must appear in court? What's wrong with this picture?

In the meantime, my check to the city has still not been cashed.

SIgned,

Margot Hackett

7 comments:

DorothyParker007 said...

Thats sucky to say the least. You really can't just mail in your fine?

Toto said...

Your pain is killing me.

The North Coast said...

Margot,I really sympathize, especially since you PAID for your dog license and should really have been able to get the tags at least within a week.

I mean, it's not as though Margot is a deadbeat who simply doesn't bother to get her licenses. She paid for her licenses, which of course she couldn't have done if she hadn't gotten the dogs their shots. She did everything she was supposed to do. Why can't our city workers do their part and get her tags out to her?

Most people want to be good citizens, but it seems that our city officials deliberately set traps. For example, they know perfectly well that most people have to make a living and can't take off work or close up their businesses to loiter around city hall waiting in line and being shunted from one dept to the other, but THEIR convenience matters more than ours, and anyway, they get lots of revenue by setting traps people can't help but fall into.

Triz said...

North Coast,
It sounds like she's even saying that she can't even send in the check for the fine. They are forcing her to appear in court.

This is completely ridiculous on the part of the city. Sounds kind of like one of those archaic stupid laws. The judge will probably by pissed just to have his time wasted with such a case.

I'm walking my dogs in fear because I'm waiting on copies of my rabies certs from the vet since you have to send in the certificate 3 years in a row for the 3-year shot.

Do any of our political representatives have unlicensed dogs?

DorothyParker007 said...

Ah muzzle it Toto, you know Toto, your mama is such a mutt the City won't sell her a license so she can be walked in public.

Next: Toto, your mama is such a mutt she thinks the food cart food with nails is gourmet

Toto, your mama such a mutt.....


Hey, Margot were you walking 4 dogs today by Metropolitan coffee?

The North Coast said...

That's what I heard Margot say-that she must take time away from her business to make a court appearance to pay a $30 fine that she really didn't have coming to her to begin with because she PAID FOR THE LICENSE, DAMMIT, and should have been able to get her tags immediately.

Proof that you have paid for the license ought to stave off a ticket, but the city bureacracy is so bumbling and archaic they can't even get your check posted and cleared, let alone set up online payment so you can get a receipt and be marked paid immediately.

Anonymous said...

Do you mean Charmers Dorothy? Probably me. My check finally posted Tuesday :).
I really don't know if City Hall is backed up or or it got lost in the mail. Anyway, I hope to have tags very soon.

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs