Friday, June 15, 2007

* El Novillo Taqueria Serves Rusty Nail

More Food Service Horror Stories in Rogers Park



Hi Craig, I thought that you might be interested in hearing about my breakfast.

My friend went to Grubhub.com searching for a breakfast place that delivers in Roger Park. Unfortunately, at around 11am, there are only two choices, Taqueria El Ranchito, and El Novillo.

Here is the Grub hub link that we used to order the food.

A friend and I ordered two huevos con chorizo (Eggs with Mexican Sausage) for breakfast. My friend got his huevos con chorizo, but I got an extra rusty nail hidden inside of my beans!

I had taken a spoonful of beans and started eating it, when I noticed something that felt like a large piece of glass inside my mouth. I fished it out and found that a rusted nail-like object was inside the beans. If I had chewed harder or swallowed it I could have been badly injured or died. We called back the restaurant to complain about it. When we asked for a manager, we were informed one was not available and if the person on the line could help us. We told her that we had found a rusty nail in our food - and then the problem really started.

She took the phone away from her ear and started to talk to someone else. My friend could hear her speaking as if she was holding the phone as far away from her face as possible and talking to someone behind her. When she came back on the line, not only did her english get worse, she claimed to have problems understanding my friend and didn't know what we were talking about.

Frustrated with this lack of service and concern for the safety of their own customers, my friend and I talked about what we could do about the situation; what would be the best course of action to get the problem resolved quickly so no one else would get hurt.

Were not sure what we should do, since noone at the restaurant seemed to care about the rusty nail inside of my food. What do we need to do here? Do we need to call the Health Department? How far should we go with this. Thankfully no one got hurt, this time.

Thank you,

- Bill Morton
Quest Network Services

p.s. It was delivered to Quest Network Services around 12pm, we paid in cash, a reciept was given.

I do believe that we have the transaction and discovery of the nail on our security cameras though, if you'd like to check that out. And of course, I saved the rusty nail.

El Novillo Taqueria & Pizzeria Home Made Pizza
7137 N. Clark St.
Chicago, Il. 60626
(773) 743-7486

17 comments:

lol moz said...

Just a question on the sequence of events here -- he found the nail while the food was in his mouth, then he took it out and stuck it in the beans again to take the picture?

E! said...

Where would you suggest he put it, Amy?

lol moz said...

I just find that a strange thing to do. He took a picture of the object in his hand -- why stick it back in the food?

anonymous said...

hmmm...these are some techies...I'm suspicious, you know guys like that are into hoaxes and urban legends and things like that...

DorothyParker007 said...

Maybe this is the Rogers Park Beach diet. If I recall nails are low carb.

Fargo Woman said...

Perhaps putting the nail back in the beans provides the viewer with a reference for the event. Presuming this is real and not a hoax, as has been suggested, I suggest contacting the health department and turning over all the evidence to them immediately. Be sure to get a tracking or report number so you can check up on it to make sure something is getting done. I further suggest you post that tracking or report number on this blog so interested parties here can keep up with it too. If a lot of people call 311 asking about that report it may help to insure something is actually done about it.

Toto said...

Just this morning I was saying I needed more Iron in my diet.

Bill Morton said...

Amy: Sequence of events:

the food was delivered.
I took a bite.
I noticed something in my mouth.
I spit it out.
I took pictures.

Originally, the nail was covered in beans. Later, I spit the nail out on top of the beans.

One Way Street said...

Thats fucked up! I mean really, who eats beans for breakfast?

Anonymous said...

I would definitely call the health department on this one. Also the Chicago restaurant association!

Glen Wood said...

Beans and rice for breakfast is a decent, nutritious meal. In Costa Rica, "gallo pinto" is a staple morning meal. It is basically black beans and rice with add-ons such as scrambled eggs and fruit. The basic combo makes sense diet-wise unless the beans are cooked in heavy lard. My favorite taquerias don't use lard.

Unknown said...

I know these guys. They've got better things to do.

They just have to spend a lot of time in Roger's Park, and are f**ing sick of the conditions the aldermen allow to exist. Trust me, this is liek problem #1,000 for a couple of people who are just trying to run an honest business that's NOT a mechanic or taqueria.

And seriously. What's to be gained from faking a bad incident from a nasty Roger's Park restaurant in the first place? It's not liek anyone out there thinks highly of any of these places to begin with.

Toto said...

Just goes to show you don't have to eat off a food cart to get lousy food.

Maybe if some of you look hard enough, you'll find your dog tags in your food.

DorothyParker007 said...

""I would definitely call the health department on this one. Also the Chicago restaurant association! ""

Oh thats good, the restaurant association, Washingto DC. Wait don't forget the CIA, FBI, America's Most Wanted, Tony Soprano.

Ah this is a one time occurance, no repreat pattern not even a 2nd time, just one and man you are taken doew as a top criminal in liberl land.

On the other hand Hmm its ok to walk your dog everyday 3 times a day repeatedly without a permit and chastised the police for that, but a 1-time incident happens and we have crimes against humanity.

Should we call the SPCA and other fedreal authories on you, Margot?

The North Coast said...

If indeed this incident is for real, this place has real sanitation problems that constitute a much larger threat to the health of patrons than someone's unlicensed does.

Do you know what E.coli and hepatitus A do to a person? These pathogens are often found in dirty restaurant kitchens, especially ones where employees don't bother to wash their hands after using toilet facilities.

Not to mention swallowing a rusty nail.

Paula said...

I am really getting concerned about Bill, I think he needs to see a doctor. His throat is swelling now and his glands..

He didnt sound well at all on the phone..

Bill Morton said...

Thank you everyone for the concern. I have been sick for about a week with a swollen gland on the right side of my neck.

I've been in a lot of pain, and I missed a lot of work, but I'll be alright.

Just wanted to say that it took several calls to 311 to get any response at all. The Health Department has been contacted, and I will never order from El Novillo again.

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs