Friday, September 7, 2007

* Where's the Morse Avenue Streetscape Project? (Upated)


Being out of the loop, I'm at a severe disadvantage in getting proper information. When I ask the powers-that-be anything, they always lie or clam up.

So, does anyone on the Morse Avenue Streetscape committee who reads the "Broken Heart' know what's going on? The last time I heard anything solid was July 2004 when I was denied a access to keep track of the process.

Since then, all we've gotten is - smoke and mirrors and empty campaign promises.

* Who's on this committee? What have you guys (and gals) done?

* When's the last time you met to discuss the timetable? Bonus question. How many times have you gotten together to discuss the project itself?


Basically, can anyone tell us folks that are out of the loop or left off the committee any details to the Morse Avenue Streetscape project. A project that's been pushed back and delayed so many times, some people are nearly forgetting the Morse Avenue Streetscape even existed.

Updated from a loyal reader: Craig, this is for your blog.

I met a young guy at a party years ago who was in charge of a committee to research and recommend ideas for the Morse Ave. streetscape project. This had to have been before 2003. His name was Artis Wright and he was a staff member at what was then the Rogers Park Community Development Corporation. This was a particularly bright young man with a Master's Degree in Urban Planning. Artis and his group submitted their recommendations to Joe's office along with considerable detail.

Joe's response was to thank them and tell them his office would take over from there. Obviously, he's done nothing. In fact, he's done less than nothing. He's allowed Morse Avenue to become worse.

Artis has since given up on Rogers Park and relocated to New York where he is actually accomplishing things.

13 comments:

Veronica said...

don't worry, it is obvious NOTHING is ever going to get done, not with alderdonothing sitting in office, and should, by some miracle, he actually get off his ass and accomplish something, he'll take full and complete credit for it, nevermind his ideas may have come from someone else, like Artis Wright.

INKJAR said...

THE ONLY DYNAMITE THAT MOVES OUR ALDERMAN'S --- IS WHEN THE UNION TELLS HIM TO SNAP GOOSE LIVER-

rogerspark60645 said...

OFF TOPIC...To all who are interested...Please cCome…St. Margaret Mary will host the annual Chuckwagon this Saturday, September 8th from 3:00-11:00. Admission is free. It is outside on the blacktop. There is an adjacent parking lot available. This is the largest fundraising event for the athletic department all year. Food includes Bar-B-Q, hotdogs, cotton candy, nachos, sno-cones, etc. There is also a beer truck (lucky me, I married one of the bartenders), wine, sodas. Fun includes pony rides, a dunk tank, many kids games with prizes for the little ones, a raffle, and a d.j. It is one of the best parties of the summer. I have to do this this weekend and German Fest. Monday will be rough…

Hugh said...

tell me when Joe is scheduled in the dunk tank and I'm there

rogerspark60645 said...

hugh, I don't recall that we have ever had clowns at the event...might be fun though.

Bill Morton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bill Morton said...

If Moore swallowed his pride by going in the dunk tank for charity, he would be helping to better the community.

Yes, a lot of people who don't like him would be spending a lot of money to dunk him continuously... but, that would be the point.

If he cared more about the community than himself, he would do this for St. Margaret Mary, without hesitation.

Maybe we could work out some of our aggravation with his piss poor job as alderman as well.


p.s. my previous post was deleted after a spell check

Jocelyn said...

I was on the Streetscaping Committee. There was a meeting about a month or so ago and I was sick and could not attend. So now I don't know what the latest update is. I would really like to know, so I will probably ask and I can post when I find out.

RPdweller said...

I am on the Streetscape Committee. The last meeting was held just recently on August 13th. It had been quite a while since our last meeting... Apparently some funding issues have now been straightened out (the money for the $3.5M project is being split between federal and city).

The committee met to discuss some cost-saving measures as the price of materials has arisen a bit in the last couple years. (The streetscaping was originally discussed as being completed in Fall '05)

Now, CDOT has just sent plans to the state for their review, which will take a couple months, and then the project goes out to bid.

There will be a community meeting to discuss the upcoming streetscaping soon - I believe in the next couple months.

YourChicagoFriend said...

Cliff...

So can we have the minutes for the past five or six years?

Jocelyn said...

There haven't been any meetings for a few years. All the meetings with the committee took place in 2004 if I recall correctly. But maybe you're just being sarcastic?

My notes are long gone sorry. But when the community meeting is held, I'm sure you will see the result of all the meetings with the decisions that were made.

If I have time this weekend, I can do a post about what I recall from the meetings.

RememberHardigan said...

What the HELL is this WHITE TRASH red neck crap on a blog for Rogers Park. Craig take your racist hick ass ideas and your sad excuse for a nephew somewhere else. WE ALL KNOW WHY U SHOWCE CASE UR NEPHEW... BECAUSE UR ALCOHOLIC ASS HASNT FOUND A WOMAN U CAN GET DRUNK ENOUGH TO GO HOME WITH U. OR ATLEAST PUT UP WITH YOUR EMPTY RHETORIC FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR!!! hahaha CHUMP.

Hillari said...

Since I've been reading this blog, I've been walking down Morse Avenue a lot more often. I'm not nervous about walking there, but then, I'm alert to my surroundings.

I don't see the drug dealers, probably because I'm not there late in the day. But the condition of the street itself is terrible. In fact, it wasn't that good looking when I lived on Morse (in the 1528 building). Too many shuttered businesses, open, half-done lots, and it looks like Streets and Sanitation doesn't visit often.

A streetscape project would be an improvement, but as for that actually happening? Methinks it'll be a long time in coming.

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs