Friday, December 19, 2008

Craigslist Crooks in Rogers Park

Don't tell these visitors/consumers from Wisconsin "crime is down."
Three people from Milwaukee, Wis., came to Rogers Park looking to buy a 2000 Monte Carlo that they saw advertised on Craigslist.com, according to police. When the visitors met the purported seller around 11 a.m. on Dec. 11, he asked the trio for a hand getting his garage door open. A second man then emerged holding a black .45 caliber handgun and ordered the victims to hand over the $2,700 cash they brought to buy the car, according to a department report.

After the victims handed the money over, the two suspects walked the victims over to their own car and told the woman to hand over her purse, which contained $250. The men ran in an unknown direction. A third man was present, but the victims told police he just stood around.
Source.

8 comments:

Bill Morton said...

Rogers Park prostitution is also happening over Craigslist.

The prostitute advertises a "hot-date", but must bring 40 roses to a Rogers Park address.

Of course, the "40 roses" actually means 40 dollars.

It amazes me what some people do over the internet.

Razldazlrr said...

what a horrible scam - there always seem to be crooks that take something great and ruin it

Man On The Street said...

How could anyone trust Craigslist? I mean, I'm sure it was a great thing when it first started but how can you shop for a car alongside people looking for a p*ss party or something...

MadeInRogersPark said...

What did my father say , " If it sounds to good to be true....well it probably isn't"
Craigslist offers a great service along with a warning!
It is a shame but why were they carrying that kind of cash - here, Wisconsin, anywhere?
It makes me sad but many people always take the hard road instead of the one that is nicely paved.

Craig Gernhardt said...

===It makes me sad but many people always take the hard road instead of the one that is nicely paved.===

Gee, I must make you sad.

The North Coast said...

What I want to know is why they would drive over 100 miles with $$$$ in hand to buy a car off a private party.

I'm not a victim-blamer, now- I hope whoever robbed these poor people is apprehended quickly and does significant time for this. I'm just pointing out that it is too easy to get had by buying from unknown private parties who you met at a geographic remove.

Buying a used car is already a big enough risk and pain in the neck. Horrid ordeal.Don't make it any worse. Best to buy it in your own town so you can go ki....erps, I mean, get satisfaction, out of someone who burns you.

I've learned some hard lessons on used mechanical stuff- get it factory or dealer refurbished and get a warranty. My bugaboo is electronics- trust me when I tell you I will NEVER NEVER EVER EVER buy a used computer off EBay EVER AGAIN. Or any other electronic item that does not come with warranties from a major dealer.

I hate to think that we have the scum perps living here in this nabe, My profound condolances to to victims, who I feel sure could not afford to be victimized this way. I'm glad you're alive, and I hope you find a really good deal on a car.

Ryne said...

I heard little joey moore is thinking about putting his aldermen seat on Craiglist.

Anonymous said...

I never trusted Craigslist!

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs