Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Brawl At Sullivan Today

Hey everyone. I'm going to try to make this quick, but there was a big fight at Sullivan this afternoon. It happened at about 1pm. I don't know who started it or what caused this, but there were tons of people involved. And I mean tons. There had to be at least about 60 or 70 kids involved in today's brawl.

I was on the 1st floor, heading to a class, when I saw security running after kids running upstairs like the wind. Then the cops went upstairs. After all of those people went up there, I kept hearing people screaming at the top of their lungs. I also saw kids storming down the hallway in a very pissed off mode. This isn't unusual after fights, but what made this fight sort of unique from all of the fights I've seen since going to Sullivan is the fact there were a couple of girls crying afterwards and the few parents that were called up about this were litterally dragging their kids out of the school. I also saw those parents yelling and screaming at their kids. Needless to say, they were mad. Real mad.

This is the first big fight we've had in a long time. It's been quiet. Well, I'm out for now. See ya.

UPDATE, 2/26/10: There was a few fights today. They weren't anywhere near the level of Tuesday's fight but they still were disruptive. I also noticed quite a few kids outside of the school as I was leaving. They go to Sullivan but they were ditching. They may have been looking for trouble. But to end this on a postitive note, we had the African American assembly today. There was one yesterday as well but today's was much better. We had singing, dancing, a speaker, slideshows. Lots of good stuff. I really enjoyed it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a crazy day! I wonder what the fight was over? Sounds like gang crap, if you ask me. Stay safe, Timmy!

AvondaleLoganSquareCrimeBlotter said...

Chicago, it was actually calm up until when this fight started. After that, tensions stayed high for the remaining hour I was at school.

I'm also wondering what the fight was over. It didn't seem to involve gangs too much, as there was most kids who supposedly hate gangs fighting, but I do know of a couple of gang members involved.

Unknown said...

thank god that fire that was purported to have happened on asland just this past week didnt really happen since its not posted here.

the charred aftermath is merely a hallucination

mcl said...

geofredo,

There are other blogs reporting neighborhood news.......

fyi:
http://nhna.blogspot.com/2010/02/breaking-news-chicago-tribune.html

Hillari said...

Everything that jumps off around Sullivan isn't necessarily tied to gang activity. Some teen fights are just about two who have beef with each other, then their friends jump into it and make it worse.

I did appreciate the fact that some of the parents showed up and snapped on their kids who were involved. It shows that some parents are still running things at home to an extent.

AvondaleLoganSquareCrimeBlotter said...

Craig probably didn't hear about it, or had the time to do a post, geo.

As mcl said, there are other neighbor blogs for RP.

Craig Gernhardt said...

Timmy, I ran into a very important person with the Chicago Public School system this evening who reads your stuff. Needless to say, he's very impressed with you and your writing here regarding Sullivan.

He always looks forward to your honest reports on SHS from a students point-of-view.

Please contribute once a week, again. 99.99% of my readers love you.

AvondaleLoganSquareCrimeBlotter said...

You're right, Boxing Tomboy. And most of it isn't involving gangs. Most of the time, it's like you said, it's two kids who have a problem with each other and then they bring their friends in. Not uncommon. However, this fight had a little gang involvement because as I said before, there were a couple of kids who I know for sure who are gangbangers who were involved.

I also liked the fact some of the parents came up to the school.

AvondaleLoganSquareCrimeBlotter said...

Craig, while I'd like to write about Sullivan once a week again, there's just not much happening to report on like last year. Which is a good thing. This year, all we have is kids fooling around and disrespecting the teachers (I'm not saying I justify it, but it's an everyday thing) with the exception of a big fight every month or so. Last year, there was things jumping off at any given time. That doesn't happen anymore. Also, even if a problem arises, it's chronic now and all of your readers are aware because I've told about [it] so many times last year. So I think everybody has a idea of what's happening.

I've also stopped posting every week because I didn't want it to seem like I'm taking over this blog about problems I see in a urban high school. This blog covers an entire community, not just SHS.

I'll try to write on problems I see as often as I can, but there probably won't be posts every week like there used to be because as I said, Sullivan's calm now compared to what it was last year.

Lynda said...

Having a relative who teaches at Sullivan, I also enjoy your honest and factual posts, Timmie. I thing you are a talented writer. Keep up the great work!!

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs