Thursday, July 6, 2006

* Block Building Used as Hide-Out


Not only do the open air drug salesman use this 1345 West Lunt Avenue (The Block Building) vestibule to escape from the police, so do the alleged gooners and destruct-o's in CAPS Beat 2431.

Yesterday afternoon, I heard three 911 calls were made. One said some kids in red and white basketball jerseys were hitting cars with baseball bats on Lunt around 3:45 p.m.

Later a 911 call comes in saying a gang dispersal is needed at 1355 West Lunt. They are wearing red and white jerseys.

A couple of hours later, a young feminine type of male, (gay) was being beat up by a group of youths wearing white tee-shirts and red basketball jerseys.

What's my point? The common factor? The alleged perps all ran to this 1345 West Block building (pictured above) to get away from the police. Guess what, the police can't do anything while they are hanging out in this vestibule. That's what they told me, I'm not making it up.

It's like a "stay out of jail card" as long as this management and the Alderman allow this "hanging out' to happen.

So, in one year, nothing has changed with Mr. Block. His building is still the ground zero for most all Hell Hole activities.

And he's still in denial, along with Alderman Moore.

Blognotes: The front of the 1345 West lunt building has two lights not working in the vestibule. The handrail to the steps was broken in the last couple of days and my one of my neighbors is so fed up with the illegal activity, he has allowed me access to his view (as seen above) to record the chaos, even though the Block building has it's own camera and the police have been invited to stake out this building from across the street.

8 comments:

Knightridge Overlook said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ryne said...

Great story Graig! Once again you show the true situation in the neighbor. Paradise is correct I lived in that area (Greenleaf) and moved out bought a condo in Edgewaater just like Paradise mentioned I rented in the area to see how it is in RP after giveing the area 3yrs I decided NO WAY do I want to buy in the area! Where I live is 100% better & it is just down 2 miles south. The answear is get a new Aldermen!!! nothing is happening good in Rogers Park how can the block buidings continue to be in the area with nothing changing gang bangers use the building as their fortress everyone knows it and nothing is being done to improve the building. These are people are breaking the law, and nothing is being done. The 49th ward must get a new alderman!! The people need to wake up before they become victems!!

Ryne said...

Jeff o

Your right in some ways I am not afraid when your 6'5" (workout 5 days a week)former Marine I am not afraid. (just a fact) I am not a yuppie, things are not getting alot better go back & look at Graig site histoey. I moved about 2 miles south I'm still in the 49th ward. My point is people of this ward need to make a change so things get better. When you walk down the street & a couple of this tough guys jump you from behind (the bitches they are are & beat up femiinine males) it's like driving down a street in a humvee an a bomb goes off! Surprise! I left because I don't things changeing. I was walking to the el at lunt walked by the block building a tough guy bumped into me he started into me I started walking toward him, asking what was his issue. His friends asked me to relax then a unmarked unit drove by the tough guys went into their fortress, when I talked with the officers they listen & said ok. That was that. Jeff all I'm talking about for new leadership. Rp is a neighborhood that realtors don't push people toward developers build just to make a buck building being built out of code! Why because the city doesn't care. Bronzeville & Englewood are being developed in a better manner because the city cares about those area more then the Rogers Park neighborhhod. Many residents from the projects south those area are sent to RP. Go to a Soxs game walk to the green line, where projects stood 500,000 condos are being built!!

Ryne said...

Why do make assumtions I have been a Sox fan since I was alittle kid. In my world just because you live south doesn't mean you have to be a soxs fan, as liveing north you have to be a cubs fan, do you think all people (young men) of color are in gangs? You strero-type alot.

I want to see RP become a better place, I moved out because things are not getting better and the leadership isn't makeing things better! Look at the business failures on Morse! Drug dealing is growing, gooning is growing. I guarentte you if I could bring my Marine unit in RP I would have the bad element out within 1-2 months!
But we can't do that here, sorry in the real world we need leadership, that's what I and others are talking about! Get someone in charge of the ward who WILL MAKE CHANGES!! Work for the ward not work to ban certain food types that the well to do eat! Thats a fact Joe works for....? Who can answear this question. Fill in the blank and share. Who does our alderman work for??

Toto said...

You need to get this building put under the DEGHS program -- Drug Enforcement Gang House Section. It really works. We did it in Edgewater and cleaned out a whole building. Call the city attorney's office to find out more. Once a building is a DEGHS building it gets really good building inspections and the owners must follow a remediation plan. Good luck

Jim Witts said...

Jeff-o,

Where do you live again? Just in the interst of "full-disclosure." =)

Isaac Marshall said...

actually jeff o, the area east of sheridan is always better than the west. but then going west from the lake it gets bad, but then gets better again as you said.

Jim Witts said...

Jeff O, I appologize, I did not know that you moved back to the 'hood from Milwaukee.

Welcome back.

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs