Saturday, September 2, 2006

* Another Sad Turn-Out for CAPS Beat 2431 Friday Walk

It's part of the CAPS program. Neighbors getting together with neighbors. Neighbors then joining hand in hand to fight crime with the Chicago Police Departments help. That's what CAPS is. A facilitator gets the message out to the neighbors. But once again, it didn't happen.

Last night CAPS walkless-stand was nothing more than 2 neighbors yelling at each other on a street corner, while two others watched. O.K. I was doing most of the yelling, But I was mad as hell. Only five people showed up for the first of the month - Friday Walk this month.

There was no promotion for the walk other than mentioning it at the CAPS meeting.

When these CAPS walks started earlier in the summer, I made fliers and posted them, I posted the information on the Hell Hole, we had over 40 residents attending.

The last two months, we've had less than a half dozen. No-one wanted to help flier for these walks anymore. I did my part, TWICE. Were other's too busy fliering for a political picnic or Alderman's Developer Informercial maybe?

Now here's what the arguing was about. Kevin O'Neil wants to celebrate the big open air drug bust next week. Alderman Moore is already taking credit for this with a press release. Can you believe it? Alderman Moore is again taking credit for something he never lifted a finger to try to help. And Kevin O'Neil wants to cheer him on, I'm sure, he always does.

It would be disingenuous to say the "Broken Heart" didn't have a hand in helping bring this Open Air Market to the Police Department's attention. But that's most likely what's going to happen. After all, it’s an election year.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

I like the walks! I have to say that I totally forgot this time. We are so busy getting our apartment ready that I spaced it. Sorry we dropped the ball. We still care and we still call the police regularly- we always do that when it's called for regardless of how busy we are!

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs