Monday, April 23, 2007

* Huge Fire on Clark Street (Updated)

Exclusive First Look






Today around 2:40PM., fire ravished the La Baquette Bakery at 7016 North Clark and the El Llano Restaurant at 7018 North Clark Street. Both businesses were totally up in flames. Reports that a large boom could be heard. You could smell the smoke a half mile east on Lunt and Sheridan. Fire crews are everywhere. Mobile and media command is set up. Joe was walking west on Lunt towards the smoke. I'm not sure he even knew what was going on until I told him. Four people are allegedly hurt. No one was taken to the hospital. Thanks to Mannis for the tip.

Updated - 4PM:

Streets to avoid coming home. Lunt, Estes, Greenleaf and Clark Streets.

Streets to take coming home. Morse or Touhy going east or west. Ashland or Ridge going north or south.

Updated 4:20PM: Windy City Furniture has also been included in this fire. Crimestopper 2 captured the excellent foam photo. Check out the fire-fighter's faces.

Heather said at 4:54 PM: "They are saying Clark is closed between Pratt and Touhy."

Updated 6:00PM: The stubborn fire is still going. Smoke can be seen for miles.

10 comments:

Ryne said...

Graig:
Is this Joe's new spring clean up program he e-mailed the people of the ward???

Dr O said...

Thanks for the updates Craig!!
I usually go home that way.
It's nice to know SOMEONE is watching out and helping the residents of teh 49th!

Heather said...

They are saying Clark is closed between Pratt and Touhy.

The North Coast said...

So THAT'S the burned food I smelled as I walked up Kenmore between Thorndale and Devon. The entire area smelled like badly burned bakery goods.

clb said...

That is so sad. I loved that bakery and the rotisserie chicken from El llano :(

Anonymous said...

Here's a story from the Chicago Tribune.

I love that chicken. Especially cold the next day.

Anonymous said...

Aww. That chicken was good. I will miss it.

No Moore! said...

Shortly after the fire activity calmed, my son and I went to get a bite to eat. Upon returning the air was filed with sounds of sirens again, however this time police. I went outside to look around and the 1700 block of Pratt looked like a Kmart bluelight special...anyone know what that was about?

westofridge said...

The sixth (one on the bottom) is AWSOME! I enlarged it on my screen. I think you could sell that or put it in a contest!

Unknown said...

The tenant in Taqueria Mexico has been renovating the old dollar store bulding with intention to move across the street. I'll bet he was sweating bullets as the day progressed.

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs