Saturday, September 22, 2007

* Local Swimmer Tom Long Remembered

The speculation over the death of Tom Long has run the gambit. Suicide? Nope, that wasn't his style. He loved life. Heart Attack? Nope, too healthy for that.

Tom was an adventurer. Tommy died doing what he loved to do. Tommy died from swimming in the dangerous and unpredictable waters of Lake Michigan. Plain and simple. That's what caused his death. Tommy knew the risk he was taking - and he took it. Just as I do every-time I ride my motorcycle on some remote mountain ridge across America.

Tommy was a volunteer football coach for the varsity team at St Margaret Mary's. They are holding a moment of silence today at the football game in memory of Tom Long. The players will also be speaking words at Tom's funeral.

Tom was an artist too.

BLOGNOTES: A wake for Tom Long is being held Sunday at Maloney's on Devon from 3 p.m. until 9 p.m., and the funeral will be held Monday at St. Jerome's Church on Lunt at 10 a.m.

2 comments:

proGun said...

Tommy did things his way and really enjoyed life. I wish that I could have been there to save him that day as I was swimming in that spot in the early am that morning.

Will likely swim there again soon.

I enjoyed his enthusiasm and knowledge of the skies and the fun things that make us look up and say cool.
He always knew when there would be a fun celestial event to look at and when and where to be to view such an event.
Often that was Pratt pier. That wil be where I teach my childern about Tommy.

His art was truly a festive medium and one that makes his pieces all the more valuable to me now.
He will be missed.

The North Coast said...

Just reading this, I feel a sense of profound loss.

Here I've discovered a great character I never even knew existed, snatched from life before I could know him.

A wonderful character and great citizen taken from us by one of the many tragedies that befall us humans at random, without notice.

It's notice for us all to appreciate the great people we're surrounded by and who pass by us without notice. I think of the wonderful homeless guy I know who panhandles Edgewater and Rogers Park and who is always concerned for my well being and that of everyone else around; the old lady who plants tomatoes in her front yard; the countless exceptional characters who we all know.

And, of course, the people we all know and love among our friends and family.

Love them and appreciate them, for you never know for whom the bell tolls.

Rest in peace and may you have gone to a better place, Tom Long.

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs