Sunday, September 28, 2008

Fun in Denver

Keeping the heart rate up.


Rock, Rocks, Rocks.


Something new. Cut-up firewood.


Boulders. Boulders. And More Boulders.


Denver has to be one of my favorite cities to visit. But it takes a day to get acclimated with the altitude. This year I wised up and went a day early, arriving on Thursday. By Saturday I was able to handle the thin air while Phil and I competed in the 4th round of the AMA EnduroCross series.

It was a great weekend results wise too. Unlike South Carolina three weeks ago, things went smoothly. Phil made the Pro main event for the third time in 4 races. Going against the worlds best is fun as hell, but this sport is hard on the heart. Phillip didn't qualify until the last chance, Dash-for-cash race. Most of you know how animated I can get at times. You should've seen me on the sidelines cheering and screaming as Phil passed the leader on the last lap on his trials bike.

After a quick TV interview and podium check presentation, I was changing Phillip's boots and timing transponder - grabbing the big-bike KTM from the pits for the main event. See, new AMA rules say you can't ride a trials bike in the Pro main event. In all, we had two minutes to get his bike - and him on the starting line.

Funny thing on the rules change deal. It didn't kill the trials guys one bit. Trials riders finished 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 10th in the Pro main. Proving the trials guys can ride the big bikes too.

In the special trialscross class they set up for us trials riders early in the show, Phillip won that too. I also made the main event and finished a piss-poor 10th out of 14 riders. I crashed in the water pit. I won't share that photo with you. I will share the ones where I was on two wheels like I should've rode the whole race.

I also wised up and bought a full face helmet. I was taking too many chances every time I went over the bars in the rock piles. One of these times I felt I was going to loose some teeth.

Cycle News coverage.

And how was your weekend?

6 comments:

Lana said...

There was a fire at 1414 W. Pratt tonight, apparently caused by trash underneath the elevator which was not cleaned by our stellar maintenance staff. The fire dept. got here quickly and no one was hurt. I've been informed that our extinguishers are a year out of date and that half the neighbors (those on the other end of the hallway) didn't even hear the crappy smoke detector. I guess our landlord is thanking his lucky stars that he lives up in the north suburbs and his home won't smell like smoke all night.

Can anyone recommend a good rental insurance company? I feel like I should get one ASAP.

RP Free Speech said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RP Free Speech said...

Call 311 and report this landlord. Chicago Municipal Code (Chap.5-12-110) contains the Landlord-Tenant duties. A working fire alarm is required by law, also well-maintained elevators.
GG

I heart the R.P. said...

I suggest you go with a bigger agency (State Farm, All State) over an inferior company. Renter's insurance is pretty affordable, usually at or around $200 a year.

mcl said...

For affordable renters insurance and great service, call Peter Kassis, Farmers Insurance of Illinois at 773-274-0500.

Hillari said...

Iana,

I'm with State Farm for rental insurance. I haven't had any incidents happen -- yet -- where I've had to call on them. But anyone who lives in an apartment should have renters' insurance. The landlord's insurance is not going to cover any of your injuries or your possessions if something happens. Based on the number of underhanded landlords in RP and around Chicago, I'd say renters' insurance is a necessity.

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs