Friday, January 16, 2009

Autism Program Will Continue at Sullivan

Hey Craig. I'd just like to tell you about two grants the Autism department here at Sullivan won. We won a grant for 1) Chicago Foundation of Education and 2) DonorsChoose.org. It's said that the grants will help us in our transition process for graduation (for the two students who are graduating this year from the program, I'm guessing) and allowing Sullivan to open a school store and to help us learn how to prepare and buy food. I think this is great news. This means the Autism program will continue to accomplish things and that we'll be around next year.

- Timmy

5 comments:

AvondaleLoganSquareCrimeBlotter said...

If anybody wants to know how I found this information, it was on Sullivan's home page.

Craig Gernhardt said...

Timmy, this weeks blog theme is "Speaking from the heart." Your note has far more impact on the topic than what site it came from. In my view, these grant dollars are being spent very wisely.

I'm happy to see you're happy. Carry on.

AvondaleLoganSquareCrimeBlotter said...

That's a nice theme :-). Anyway, I was just telling everyone it came from Sullivan's website so nobody asked "how did you find that out?" or something like that. I also was surprised that Sullivan would make mention of it, so that is why I mentioned where it came from :-).

I also think the grant dollars are being spent real wisely. This will help myself and the others for probably years to come. In fact, we're going to start setting up the school store next week :-).

MadeInRogersPark said...

You go for it Timmy - it is a great way to teach young adults like you independence as well as more independent functioning within your community! It is even possible that it may motivate some of the thugs to see you as role models and believe it or not they may decide to follow your behavior! Wouldn't that be terrific!
You might even be able to have a fubdraiser for P.A.C.T, located on Greenview and Estes. This group wors with many many autistic children and young adults. They even have a group living house next door!
I am really proud of you and sorry people misunderstood what I was trying to tell you - anyway keep going to school every day, work hard, play hard and have fun!
Life is a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Timmy.

$10 says Joe will be at the ribbon cutting for the opening of the school store (the rest of the school will be on lockdown).

Phase 1: Collect School Supplies
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs