Monday, January 12, 2009

Open Letter to John Nichols of The Nation in re: Joe Moore

Dear Mr. Nichols,

I am writing from Rogers Park in Chicago. Have you ever visited our neighborhood? Next time you are in Chicago, may I have a few minutes of your time to tour some of the local shopping options, such as they are after 17 years of Alderman Joe Moore? I promise it won't take long. We can stroll Howard, Morse, and Clark. If you can manage to find a gift that you are willing to purchase for each member of your family, I will join you in your praise of Joe Moore ("Most Valuable Progressives of 2008").

Who in your estimation might be the most NON-progressive alderman in the Chicago City Council? Whoever, would you be surprised to learn Mr. Moore's voting record in City Council is nearly identical to the most strident machine hack alderman, I mean not sort of similar, I mean like 99.999% identical? I doubt very much that for example a US Senator with a voting record nearly identical to say Saxby Chambliss would have much of a chance of making your list, so why do you recognize a reliable, back-bench, pro-Machine local legislator as a "valuable progressive?" I'm afraid Moore's self-image and national image are based on a handful of stunt votes of little or no benefit to his constituents, and you are aiding and abetting.

At-a-boys like yours to a faux progressive are a real problem for those of us trying to live here. If you were trying to live here, believe me you would definitely prefer Moore would feel himself a tad more "constrained" by the responsibilities of local government. Unfortunately, we here are going to be hearing about The Nation's "endorsement" of Joe Moore for a long time. Please stop. At least do some real research, and I don't mean Google searches, I mean talk to people.

Would you like to learn more about Joe Moore? If so, I would like to help. Please call or write. For example, are you familiar with his role in the Bob Creamer affair? And is selling zoning changes to raise campaign funds an endorsed progressive tactic?

Finally, may I ask, did your recent blog post appear in print in the magazine? Does your blog post reflect the views of the editorial board of The Nation? Did you know Moore is certainly touting it as if it did?

Thank you for your time.

18 comments:

yahoo said...

Are you actually sending this to the magazine, or just complaining?

Scott said...

When I received Joe's e-mail blast touting this "award", I threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Craig Gernhardt said...

===Are you actually sending this to the magazine===

It says it's an OPEN LETTER to John Nichols.

Still, I gotta wonder??? Do you want us to send this letter to the Nation? We can if you want.

Craig Gernhardt said...

To calm the Yahoo's nerves and to keep the Yahoo from further complaining, I just forwarded this blog post to John Nichols.

yahoo said...

So, what did you think? He was gonna read your blog if you didn't send it to him?

Craig Gernhardt said...

To save us all having to endure Mo Cahill's dribbling on Joe, I'll do it first for her...

"i would like to publicly congratulate joe on this well deserved award."

floss said...

Mr Nichols,

The Alderman isn't wearing any clothes.

newgarder said...

As an alderman I publicly endorse this open letter.

Dr Who said...

Heard a rumor that the Craig's List thing went down again Thurday night. One of these times the vic is going to pull out a real gun, and blast the assholes......

Jedierica said...

Has anyone noticed that the Village North Theatre is closed for good.

Clark St. said...

I will make a bet that this "award" was given out solely on the basis of the idiotic & short lived foie gras ban!
And I'll also bet if you asked Nichols about it, he is also opposed to foie gras.

Razldazlrr said...

What??? The Village North Theatre is closed??? ON Sheridan near STarbucks??? I will have to walk by there today and check it out.

In reference to email about Moore - absolutely send it in - we all need to send mails to the person that wrote this insane and ridiculous endorsement -

Chip Bagg said...

John Nichols is correct in praising Joe Moore as one of the most valuable progressives of 2008.
The problem is that "progressives" are morons. You can see for yourselves what a "progressive" has done for our neighborhood.

The North Coast said...

I thought the Village North was going to be closed for renovation, and that the current operator had been evicted.

Craig, could you rerun the post concerning the Village Theatre from last year? I'm not sure I remember correctly, but thought that the new ownership was getting Loyola TIF money to redo the place, and that the current operator was going to be replaced.

Craig Gernhardt said...

Click here.

Razldazlrr said...

I walked by yesterday and the sign says "closed for good" or something like that. Maybe that was just a sign from the evicted owner. It definitely needs the renovation - let's hope that's what it is

Sassy said...

OMG. I thought this was a joke. If Joe Moore is the "best" so-called progressive local official they could come up with this year this is surely the nail in the coffin for all progressives! I mean, what grassroots movement is Joe Moore spearheading???

I'm floored. Really? Really, Joe Moore???

The author must have had a very, very tight deadline. "Oh, I know...let's go with that foie gras guy!"

It amazes me how few people in the national media understand Chicago politics yet still feel entitled to spout off about it ad nauseam.

I heart the R.P. said...

I certainly hope you send him your letter, and I hope the rest of us share our opinions regarding Joe Moore with him as well.

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat/392577/most_valuable_progressives_of_2008

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs