Sunday, July 5, 2009

Car Crashes into Storefront on Broadway/SUV into Breakwall on Pratt


5:00 AM: 6000 North Broadway - @ Argyle. Police are blocking the streets surrounding the area. Offender splits the scene. Police have an address of the possible offender. I was just waking up anyhow. I'll take a bike ride down to see how bad it is.

5:14 AM: Deja vu. Imagine this. I'm going to cover a car crash and I witness a SUV crash. So, I'm heading south on Sheridan, just crossing Pratt. This silver SUV (photo above) goes barreling east down the 1100 block of West Pratt. (Over 50 MPH) Just knowing something was amiss, I stopped, heard a tire screech and wham - the sound of the SUV smacking the concrete breakwall.

I call 911 at 5:14 AM.

5:20 AM rolls around, still no first responders. Finally a fire truck arrives - and turns west on Pratt. The wrong way.

At 5:23 AM, the ambulance arrives, turns at the end of Pratt - and drives off.

I call 911 again at 5:24 AM to inform the first responders to come back.

Police arrive at 5:24 AM, too. 10 minutes after my first 911 call.

Needless to say, I never made it down to the first car crash. Everyone in the SUV crash seemed fine, other than some cuts.

12 comments:

Scott said...

Wow...what a morning!

Just a picky point: Argyle is 5000 North, not 6000 (that's Elmdale/Peterson).

Unknown said...

I don't get it - why were they going so fast and then crashed into the breakwall? Was it a stolen vehicle? Were the people loaded?

Craig Gernhardt said...

I'll let the officers decide if they were loaded. I will say the guy was going too fast and couldn't handle the speed.

AvondaleLoganSquareCrimeBlotter said...

OUCH! I'm hoping that everyone is doing ok from these two accidents.

ms21 said...

At 5:15 in the morning after a major holiday? I'm guessing they weren't sober.

The SUV was still there at 9 o'clock this morning.

CommonSense said...

A private tow truck removed the SUV around 2 pm.

Why did the City allow a busted up SUV to block traffic for 8 hours?

ms21 said...

Furthermore, what's been with the parking situation at the end of Pratt lately? There are a number of cars that have been parking in what appear to be illegal parking areas.

Maybe those are spaces for the lifeguards.

Razldazlrr said...

ms21 - I have noticed all the extra cars parked illegally too. There are cops down there all the time, so they are obviously letting it go

Philip McGregor Rogers said...

Guess the driver thought that lakeshoredrive continued through to rogers park.

Thats weird.

CommonSense said...

The "no parking" signs at the end of Pratt no longer exist. thus, the cars are now parked legally, or at least have a defense. I saw one of Chicago's finest explaining to a person how he can't issue a ticket without a "no parking" sign.

Seeing that parking tickets are a great source of revenue, why hasn't the city replaced the "no parking" signs?

AvondaleLoganSquareCrimeBlotter said...

The scene of the accident is cleaned up. I was over there this morning with my class.

CommonSense said...

There are still a bunch of car parts lying around on the ground

'Broken Heart' Past Blogs